Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Why Am I Not Being Creative?

Romeo in His New Bed, photo by Jennie


Maybe I should be like Romeo and go back to bed and cover up instead of posting this.

"They" say the worst thing to do is complain on your art blog.  So true.  Don't pay attention to the complaining part.

I've been in an art funk for a couple of years. Nothing is calling out to "paint me!", even apples. You would think art  would be a refuge and I would be painting like mad.  It is the opposite.   I've read many blogs and articles about how to get re-energized.  

I'm trying!  I attended a plein air workshop in Montana, entered several juried shows, took part in our First Friday Art Walk, bought some on-line lessons, etc.  I sketch fairly regularly on the wetcanvas.com  Scavenger Hunts. I also take part in the Southwest forum.  

I have bought and been given new art supplies and books.  I have cleaned and rearranged my studio.  I tried new media and styles of painting.  I've painted, but only four paintings.

Gene and I traveled far and wide, visited old friends and made new friends.  We attended our UT Baseball games to root for the Longhorns! (They have been in a funk as well.  Oops.)

Sue (my art buddy and friend) came to visit from Michigan and we did artful activities.  Gen (long time friend, like 50 years) visited and we had a great time with some art involved, too.

I'm entering a show in Santa Fe and attending the International Pastel Society Convention in June. Regina, my pastel buddy, will be there.  Yay!   Maybe that will work!!

I just signed up to audit the mentoring workshop this year with  Jason Horejs, Xanadu Gallery.  (Check it out, should be very good for marketing and growing as an artist.  You can apply to be the artist he will mentor.) **Note added this for the link to apply to receive the mentoring.  It is on the blog.

I'm also thinking about going to a pastel workshop in September.  

I'm like the government, throw money at the problem and it will go away.  Right? ....... Right.

What do you do when you don't feel creative?

9 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I've been in a funk for a while now too. While that is not very helpful, I do understand. I just can't figure it out for myself either.

Blondheim Art and Stories said...

Jo,
Luckily that has not happened to me. I think it is because I make my living from art. I don't have the luxury of not painting. It is my full time job, and my only income stream. Perhaps it would help you to work if you make it seem like your responsibility to paint and study painting, rather than thinking of inspiration as a motivation.
Love,
Linda

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, it is weird. Especially as I know you really try to keep your art going with teaching and all. Hmmm.

Linda, you may be right. I did well when I had my own gallery again a couple of years ago. When you dedicate time for art you do get things done. Maybe that will help, to create some time blocks for just being in my studio. Thanks for the reminder! I need to turn the computer off, too. Smile.

Rose Welty said...

For the record, you aren't complaining in this post - you are asking for help! That's allowed, in fact, rather encouraged by the gurus, I think. ;-)

I know for me it helps to start a project or series...something very defined so that I do not have to decide what to paint each day. I can dawdle and not face painting because I don't want to admit that I don't know what to paint. So, I do a list of objects, or a series of copies, or join a themed group (Paint Colorful Birds on FB is a new one) - anything to just take away the decision and move to painting. Another thing I've done is revisit a piece that I didn't love - I try it all over again (not just update).

Just a few things I try. I think lots of people have been where you are Jo. Hang in there.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

I get out my computer and start looking through my thousands of sky photos. Generally, it doesn't take long to find one that I can't wait to paint!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Rose! Thank you so much. You always have such good ideas. A do over is a thought. I tried some apples, may visit that painting!

Jo Castillo said...

Regina, you and your skies makes me smile. Guess that is the way I am with apples, maybe windmills. :)

Joanna said...

Awwww...hugs. Love you, Mom. (Wish I had something more concrete to offer than that.)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, love and support are a huge help. Thank you, hugs back!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)